We always start our day with a cup of coffee. Its aroma alone is sometimes enough to help circulate your blood and drive away sleepiness. After a cup, you’d be more cheerful — ready to face the day.
But apart from being world’s most popular stimulant, coffee can be used as a beauty scrub and one that is so effective, you’d wonder why you haven’t been using it before.
Exfoliation is an important part of skin care. The process involves removal of old skin and exposing new and radiant skin underneath. You spend a lot of money and time looking for that perfect facial scrub and sometimes with no success.
With dirt and dust accumulating on the skin every day, it is important to exfoliate the entire layer. Exfoliation makes the skin more compact and more radiant.
Surprisingly, the perfect ingredient for your face scrub is the ol’ reliable coffee. Yes, coffee! There is more to coffee than just brewing and drinking. When you scrub ground coffee beans combined with other natural ingredients, the benefits for your skin are immediately noticeable.
Do-It-Yourself Coffee Face Scrub
Unforgiving on dirt but safe, mild, and gentle on skin — the coffee facial scrub has no side effect, it simply cleanses your skin, making it glow.
A teaspoon of coffee power mixed with a teaspoon of honey is a homemade wonder. Honey has the moisturizing and nourishing properties. Coffee (caffeine) is filled with rich anti-oxidants that counteract toxins on the skin. Caffeine also minimizes wrinkles, sun spots, and fine lines. Furthermore, caffeine helps tighten the skin, which can help reduce cellulite.
How to use the scrub:
- First, remove any make up from your face with a mild cleanser and pat dry.
- Next, take a little bit of the scrub and gently rub it on your forehead in a circular motion.
- Apply the scrub gently. Otherwise you might end up exfoliating the deeper layers of the skin.
- Apply the scrub on your cheeks in the same manner as on your forehead.
- Care should be taken when applying under the eye because the skin there is very thin. With careful application around the eyes, it can minimize the puffiness and dark circles.
- Lastly, apply on your chin, upper lip, a little on your nose and on your neck.
- Gently scrub the coffee mixture all over your face for around 5 minutes.
- Then rinse your face with lukewarm water.
- Remember: Don’t overdo it! It will damage your skin and destroy the protective barrier of the skin.
- People with dry skin can consider adding a little olive for best results.
- For normal or oily skin, exfoliate around once a week.
- For dry skin, exfoliate once in every two weeks.
Be sure to moisturize your skin after every exfoliation to protect your skin from possible infection or rashes.
You can check out other coffee-based scrub recipes in my next post.