Baby wipes are mothers’ bestfriend!
As the name implies, they are commonly used to clean babies. They are very handy, easy to use and so economical.
True indeed that these baby wipes are so convenient to use, especially when you’re always on the go, but you must still scrutinize every ingredient included in these wipes.
You have to bear in mind that baby skin is super sensitive and even the so-called “baby-safe” wipes might cause skin allergic reaction.
Chemicals To Avoid In Baby Wipes
Formaldehyde, a powerful preservative which can irritate the baby’s skin, lungs, and eyes.
Phthalates, use to prolong fragrances in wipes but also known to cause hormone disorder especially in little boys’ sperm development.
Parabens, preservatives present in some wipes, have been linked to cancer and hormone problems.
Ethylene oxide and 1,4 – dioxin, both are potentially skin irritants.
Itchiness, soreness, blisters and some serious health effects can be caused by these chemicals in baby wipes. One must be cautious. It is not fair to have cancer because of your consistent usage of these unregulated products.
Safe Baby Wipes And Wiping Tips
There are better options of which baby wipes to buy and use. Here are some tips:
- Alcohol-free and unscented wipes will minimize skin irritation.
- During nappy change, wipe gently the bottom of your baby.
- It is advisable to use baby wipes during changing of diapers only, and not to clean baby’s mouth and other parts to avoid further chances of allergy.
- Use baby cream or petroleum jelly during nappy change to protect baby’s bottom against any chemicals present in the wipes and in the diapers.
- Try to look for organic baby wipes like those made of 99.9% water and 0.1% natural extracts like grapeseed.
How To Make Natural Baby Wipes Alternative
Aloe Vera – Witch Hazel Extract Baby Wipes
You will need: 1 roll heavy duty paper towels, bucket-like container, 1 ¾ cups of boiled water, 1 tbsp of pure aloe vera extract, 1 tbsp pure witch hazel extract, 1 tsp liquid castille soap, 10 drops grapeseed extract or 2 capsules of Vit. E (optional), 1 tsp of Olive or Almond Oil (optional), 6 drops of essential oils of choice (optional)
What to do:
1. Cut the roll in half, then place the half in your container.
2. In a bowl, mix all liquid ingredients and stir.
3. Pour mixture over paper towels in the container and let absorb for 5 – 10 minutes.
4. Flip over the container making sure all wipes are well soaked.
5. Pull the cardboard of the paper towel from the inside. This should pull also the innermost wipe out, and you may start using.
Chamomile-Lavender Baby Wipes
You will need: 1 tablespoon almond, grapeseed, or olive oil, 1 tablespoon liquid castile soap, 1 cup distilled or filtered water, 2 drops chamomile essential oil, 3 drops lavender essential oil,1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil as a natural preservative
What to do:
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl starting with water to avoid formation of bubbles.
2. Use soft paper towels and place in a reusable baby wipes container.
3.Pour solution over paper towels until moist.
4. Leftover mixture can be put to spray bottle. You can directly spray the solution to baby’s diaper or cloth wipes if you prefer.
Remember that homemade baby wipes solutions expire faster than commercial preparations. You can make in small batches only to avoid spoilage. Use homemade baby wipes for 1- 2 weeks only.